Jun 3, 2010

Please Don't Purchase Pets At Pet Stores

◆Famous TV Commercial

This is very famous TV commercial(2002) for loan company.
People loved this and Chiwawas got so popular in Japan.



They are in a big store called "Home Center" which can be seen everywhere in Japan like grocery stores.
And the way they sell the pets, it looks so familier.

The girl says, "I want a puppy", and daddy says "Not now. We have to wait until I get bonus" which indicates they can't afford a puppy (afford to BUY a puppy) right now.
And he looks at the puppy and seems impressed how cute the puppy is.
Then the narrator "Dosuru?(What're you gonna do?) AIFUL(the name of the loan company)"
Obviously, this commercial implies "Borrow money from us for anything you need! Even to buy a puppy! it's easy"

Many many people purchase their pets like this way. I'm sure that, because I see those corners in home centers everywhere. They sell when there are customers.
They are all puppies and kittens. No adult dog and cat rarely. I once saw a big cat but she was on sale. Because adult animals don't sell.

There are many I can point out it is inappropriate not only for TV commercial but also the whole situation, but I just say for now "Should people borrow money from loan company in this situation?"
I know the CM maker know the answer, No. They're just showing one extreme unbelievable situation to make it impressive and humorous. Even so, it is not appropriate, I think.

◆Where Do They Come From?

Most of the people who bought their pets from those kind of stores love them and treat them as a member of their family. People just love them, I see that. Most of the people are nice to animals.
But I wonder how many people have ever thought about his/her mom and dad and where s/he come from.

This is called Puppy mill.
I can't say all of the pets at pet stores are from those, but I believe most of them are. Or from Backyard breeders.
The conditions is really bad. Many small cages in small room, dirty, no enough food.
Female dogs get pregnant every heat, and when they can't get pregnant anymore, they will be killed. Babies will be apart from mother too soon because smaller sell. Even worse, babies wouldn't get enough food to save cost and to slow growing because smaller sell.



This is one of the cases.
LINK Puppy mill revelation at Saga, 2009

(citation)

The owner had 100 dogs at puppymill and 50 at pet stores.
At puppymill(backyard), there were few Akita Japanese dogs chained in the yard where there was no roof, no food, no water. Under the roof, there were few dogs chained on the wet sewage-laden board. There were few in sewage-laden cages, the dirty food dishes were empty, and water dishes were algae all over.
There were 7 dogs' dead bodies and bones and skulls in there.

◆Don't buy pets---Alternative

I guess there are conscionable breeders. But if you can't find them since they are probably very few, there are alternatives.

-Adupt from healthcare center
The stray or homeless cat and dogs go there and eventually get killed by poisoning gas.
You can adupt one from there and save a life. If you are sensitive and don't wanna see the cage, you can ask office staff to bring you one.

-Adupt from Volunteer
You can find those websites on the internet.

-Bring the homeless one in home
I guess not so many homeless dogs in town now but cats are.
This is my case.
My beautiful cat Aslan was (probably) born in a park from a homeless mom and of course Aslan was homeless too.
There are many homeless cats because few heartless bad people come and bump them at the park when they no longer need them.

Aslan was so scared of people at first. I go to the park almost everyday and after 6 months, he let me touch him. He ate from my hand. Then, I caught him using laundry net and brought him home (and vet).
At first, he had a hard time getting used to new life with a human, including goind to vet many times(for neuter service, vaccines,) but few months later, he seemed happy, and started to love me.
Up until today, it has been 4 years, I am so happy to have him everyday. He makes me laugh almost every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment